This is a clip from my absolute favorite Home Improvement episode. Most of you are probably too young to remember the show, but you can catch re-runs sometimes or find them on You Tube. This particular episode is related to math and talks about some of the “crazy” rules and words mathematicians use.
How Can You Spend Your Math Minutes This Week?
- Watch the video clip and then post a comment about some of the math vocabulary words used.
- Figure out the answer to Jill’s “cheese milk” recipe: 1 1/2 lbs of cheese x 1 1/2 gallons of milk.
- The steps to multiplying fractions can be confusing. Post a comment about another math topic or rule you find confusing.
- Post a math vocabulary word you find interesting. My favorite math word is radical! I like it so much I had a shirt made!
- Ask a parent or another adult if they can remember the steps to multiplying mixed numbers (they called them compound fractions in the video). See if they can give you an example of when they use this skill. Post a comment!