What is the biggest number you can think of? What does that number mean? For this math mini spark, you will be exploring some “really big numbers” and what they mean.
In your math notebook, complete the following tasks:
- In the episode, “Have You Seen This Snail?”, SpongeBob SquarePants is given a challenge of hitting a paddle ball 29,998,559,671,349 times in a row. This causes SpongeBob to neglect Gary (his pet snail) and so Gary leaves. Write this number out in words.
image source: https://images.app.goo.gl/6adwmDetkF9r1Vds7
- Visit https://www.britannica.com/science/Avogadros-number and write down Avogadro’s Number and what it means.
- How many different positions are there on a standard Rubik’s Cube? Visit this site and record the number in your notebook. BONUS: Write the number out in words.
- Read the definition of a pandigital number and then write one in your notebook. Say that number to a friend and then have them put their initials next to the number in your notebook.
- Read this Calvin and Hobbes comic strip and record the really large number found in it. BONUS: Read about another number found in a Calvin and Hobbes comic strip and record it in your notebook.
Thank you https://sites.google.com/site/pointlesslargenumberstuff/ for inspiring this this math mini spark. It definitely sparked my curiosity!