While teaching an enrichment lesson to 3rd graders a few weeks ago, one of them asked what a 13-sided figure was called. It was a great opportunity to do some research together. We found a few great resources which I’m now sharing as this week’s Math Minute!
How can I spend my Math Minutes this week?
- Watch The Greedy Triangle by Marilyn Burns Reading this book aloud is my favorite ways to start a geometry unit. After watching the video, post a comment about your favorite shape and where it appears most often.
- Pick a polygon and draw 4-5 pictures of where that shape appears. Turn in your drawing to the EY Coordinator at your building.
- This website: http://faculty.kutztown.edu/schaeffe/tutorials/general/polygons.html was where the 3rd graders and I found the answer to our 13-sided polygon question. Take a look at the different naming conventions for polygons on this site and post a comment with a few new names you discovered. Take it a step further and draw your polygon. Remember that a polygon is a closed figure made up of straight lines.
- Create a “Geometry Around Us Presentation.” Look at this example: https://youtu.be/aDcRaVMiTa8 as a starting point. You can use any tool (Explain Everything, Pic Collage, Keynote, etc.) and include as many vocabulary words as you like. Try to find pictures of polygons in your school or outside.
- Write your name in block polygon letters. Color the letters and under each one, write the correct name for each polygon. Turn in your drawing to the EY Coordinator at your building.
7 thoughts on “#21 Math Minute: Names of Polygons”
After watching the greedy triangle I have come to the conclusion that the Octagon is my favorite shape because my birthday is in October. The octagon appears most on stop signs.
A triangle!!! Yay!
It appears most often with pizza slices.
A circle appears a lot on cars and bikes.
Triangles are like pizza slices.
Penadeca icosa octadeca
My favorite polygon is a hexagon and it appears in bee hives and snowflakes.
I like circles because they are the shape of donuts and donuts are YUMMY????????