Looking for a really fun STEM challenge that you can do at home? This mystery bag STEM design challenge is a blast!
- One bag (you can use gift bags, lunch bags, grocery bags, or even large baggies.)
- Tape (scotch tape or masking tape)
- Various kinds of recyclables (cardboard tubes, cardboard, newspaper, aluminum foil)
- A variety of other materials (paper plates, plastic cups, string, yarn, pipe cleaners)
- Mystery Bag Challenge Cards (print and cut these if you can)
Step Two: Fill Your Bag (Tip: it’s more challenging if a sibling or parent fills your bag)
Place about 8-12 items into the bag. You’ll want to be sure the items are varied. Each bag should contain at least one larger item that can serve as a base for the design, and then an assortment of smaller items.
Step Three: Print out the free mystery bag challenge cards. Cut them apart.
Step Four: Draw a challenge card. You could put the cards in a container to draw from or place face down on a table.
Step Five: Complete the challenge on the card using only the materials in your bag.
Bonus: Earn a badge. If you complete FIVE mystery bag design challenges, you can earn the Mystery Design Challenge Badge. Go for it!!
Here is video I made at my old school where I challenged my students to create an innovative dog toy. Just ignore anytime I say, “Hey Bobcats”