Artist Theo Jansen demonstrates the amazingly lifelike kinetic sculptures he builds from plastic tubes and lemonade bottles. His creatures are designed to move – and even survive – on their own.
Gather Information: Research
- TEDTalk: Theo Jansen: My creations, a new form of life
- Theo Jansen’s website
- Article in The New Yorker: The March of the Strandbeests
- The New York Times Magazine: Theo Jansen’s Lumbering Life-Forms Arrive in America
Show What You’ve Learned
- Post a comment below about something new you learned. How does what Mr. Jansen create relate to Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, and Math (STEAM)?
- Create a presentation about Theo Jansen’s work. You can use an app on your iPad or use physical materials.
Take it a Step Further
- Draw and label or create a prototype of your own Strandbeest. Describe the parts and materials used, how it moves, etc. When you are finished with this project, please let the EY coordinator in your building know.
1 thought on “#1 Full STEAM Ahead: Strandbeests”
Good to learn how things work ???