Image from Wikimedia Commons
A sieve is a kitchen utensil that is used to strain solids from liquids or for separating coarser from finer particles. The Sieve of Eratosthenes is similar because it’s used to separate out all the prime numbers from a given set of numbers.
How can you spend your Math Minutes this week?
- What is a prime number anyway? What is the smallest prime number? Is 1 prime? Why or Why not? Are all odd numbers prime? How many prime numbers are there between 1 and 100? Watch this video and listen to a catchy rap about Prime Numbers and then post a comment answering one or more of the questions posted.
- Watch this video about the Sieve of Eratosthenes. You can even print out this 100 chart and follow along with the video.
- Read this article and find out about Eratosthenes. Consider the following questions as you read:
- What were 2 of Eratosthenes’ nicknames and what did they mean?
- What is Eratosthenes known for besides the Sieve named after him?
- What kind of man was Eratosthenes?
"Eratosthenes." Famous Scientists. famousscientists.org. 21 Jun. 2014. Web. 9/18/2015 <http://www.famousscientists.org/eratosthenes/>.