For this week’s Reading enRichment, complete the following:
- Read the following writing prompts before you watch the video.
- What are spatula? If the spatulae weren’t shaped like spatulas, would it be better for them to be shaped like spheres or cubes? Why?
- Explain the process that makes the geckos feet “stick” to surfaces.
- Talk about how the geckos sticky feet can help humans create new materials. How could this help humankind?
- Watch this TED Talk: https://youtu.be/YeSuQm7KfaE
- Pause the video if you need to take notes. You may need to watch the video more than once.
- Choose one of the prompts listed above and leave a comment (at least 3-4 sentences). When leaving a comment, use your first name, grade, and school (i.e. Tyler, 5, Sunset). Do not publish your email.
NOTE: There is a section in the video about electrons and charges. You do not need to understand this 100%, just watch and listen to the narrator explain the process.
Take it a step further by learning more about our world using research and Geckos!
- Watch this video: https://youtu.be/TlyvS1ckDZM
- Expand on what you have learned by researching your own animal and responding to this prompt:
- What is another animal that exhibits an incredible phenomenon, and how can it be used to make life better for humankind?
- Record your responses on this form
And if you still can’t get enough…This “Prototype This” episode is about creating a Gecko Superhero Suit. Respond to this post after watching the video with any new learnings, thoughts, and/or opinions.