Each month, Jay and Harm provide a new writing prompt on their blog. The writing prompt may include a small piece of the story, describe key characters, or list other criteria that your story must include.
- Check out February’s writing prompt here: https://youtu.be/B7-cVZfD9Kw
- February Contest Deadline: February 20, 2018
- All students in grades K-8 are eligible.
Calling all doodlers K-12!
What inspires you? Express it in a creative doodle!
How it Works
Prizes: Prizes include scholarships, technology for your school, and a behind the scene experience with the Doodle team!
Submissions are due March, 2, 2018
Click here for the poster
Nebraska Association for the Gifted Parent Night
with Featured Speakers Dr. Kenneth Kiewra & Devin Patterson
When: February 22, 2018
Where: Embassy Suites Old Market
Time: 6:30-7:30 pm
Click here for the flier
Nebraska agriculture contributes more than $23 billion to Nebraska’s economy each year. Nebraska is home to nearly 50,000 farms and ranches utilizing 91% of the state’s total land area. Nebraska IS Agriculture!
All 1st-6th grade students are invited to participate in the 15th annual Nebraska Department of Agriculture Poster Contest. The theme is: Sharing the Story of Nebraska Agriculture. Check out the poster rules here and visit the contest website at: http://www.nda.nebraska.gov/kids/
Deadline: March 1, 2018
image source: https://goo.gl/images/ixgDYn
NEBRASKA ROBOTICS EXPO 2018
A Loveland parent will be holding workshops on Saturdays in January to prepare for the event. All 3rd-6th grade students at Westside Elementary Schools are invited to attend. Even if a child decides he/she does not want to participate in the Expo, they are still welcome to attend the Saturday workshops.
Descriptions of the Robotics Expo events can be found by clicking the links below.
Please fill out the form linked below to reserve your spot for the Saturday workshops. They will be offered on January 6, 13, 20 and 27 (all Saturdays) in the Swanson Library basement from 3-6pm.
There is only space for 20 participants at each session.
Image taken from https://www.flickr.com/photos/usdagov/15032644782
The American Statistical Association (ASA) is dedicated to and involved in enhancing statistics education at all levels. Check out their annual Poster Contest for students in grades K-12.
Posters are due each year on April 1.
What is a statistical poster? A statistical poster is a display containing two or more related graphics that summarize a set of data, look at the data from different points of view, and answer specific questions about the data.
Check out additional details/rules and look at the winners from last year by visiting the ASA website.
If you love writing poems, check out this poetry contest!
Go to https://www.appelley.org/ to find out more
Due Date Nov 18, 2017
If you need help with submitting your poem, please contact the EY teacher in your building.
- Stone Soup welcomes submissions from around the world by writers and artists ages 13 and younger.
- To get an idea of the kind of work Stone Soup has published in the past, look through our Archive of Children’s Writing.
- Deadline: Ongoing
For more information, visit: https://stonesoup.com/how-to-submit-writing-and-art-to-stone-soup/
Amazing Kids! Magazine
- This contest is open to kids ages 7 – 18 with separate age categories (7 – 9, 10 – 11, 12 – 14, and 15 – 18).
- One winner will be selected in each category to win the choice of either a Solitaire Chess game or FootBubbles along with an official certificate verifying their winning entry and publication in the Amazing Kids! Magazine.
- All entries are due by October 1.
For more information, visit: http://mag.amazing-kids.org/ak-contests/amazing-kids-adventure-contest-create-an-adventure-story/
Mrs. P’s ‘Be a Famous Writer’ Contest
- Mrs. P’s 9th Annual “Be-A-Famous-Writer” Contest is open to students in Kindergarten through 4th grade.
- The contest starts October 15, 2017 and the 2017 theme is dragons.
- To get an idea of the kind of work chosen in the past, visit: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLF6D83D5011B3185A
- Deadline is December 15, 2017 (winners announced January 30, 2018)
For more information, visit: http://contest.mrsp.com/