Stone Soup is in the process of gathering work for their September issue which will be science themed. Check out the many types of work you can submit:
- write up a science fair project or experiment for Stone Soup readers to try
- write a short essay about any area of science that fascinates you (i.e. comets, dinosaur coloration, the geology of a place near where you live, something about the weather, etc.)
Check out more details here. All entries are due July 1, 2018.
The Omaha Local Section of the American Chemical Society (ACS) is sponsoring an illustrated poem contest for students in Kindergarten through 12th grade.
Write and illustrate a poem using the CCEW theme, “Dive into Marine Chemistry.”
Contest Deadline: April 24, 2018
Contest Details: https://www.acs.org/content/acs/en/education/outreach/ccew/illustrated-poem-contest.html
Prizes: Local winners advance to the national contest for a chance to win cash prizes. ACS will award $300 to first-place and $150 to second-place national contest winners in each grade category!
Winners of the Omaha Local Section’s Illustrated Poem Contest will advance to the National Illustrated Poem Contest for a chance to be featured on the ACS website and to win prizes!
Tech Savvy, a program of AAUW, introduces girls in 6th through 9th grades to many types of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) careers and teaches “savvy skills” such as critical thinking, sharing opinions, financial literacy, and negotiation.
Tech Savvy will be held April 21, 2018, from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm at the College of St. Mary, 7000 Mercy Rd, Omaha, NE.
Find out more at: https://aauw-ne.aauw.net/tech-savvy/
The Central Honors Institute (CHI) is a five-day residential academic camp for middle school students who have completed the 6th or 7th grade and who have demonstrated academic accomplishments, leadership and maturity among their peers.
Students attend classes during the day (see below) and socialize with peers in the evenings while experiencing life on a community college campus.
- CHI Stream Team: During this biology based track, Stream Team campers will investigate living and non-living objects, food web, and biodiversity in a nearby aquatic ecosystem.
- FLY CHI Track: This track will focus on the fascinating aspect of flight from archery to ornithology, rockets, gliders, combustion and beyond!
- CSI at CHI Track: Campers in this track will investigate and solve a number of puzzling cases throughout the week.
- CHI Creativity Track: Campers will explore their creative potential through teamwork and cooperation.
To learn more, visit: https://www.cccneb.edu/chi/
Applications are due May 1, 2018
Each month, Jay and Harm provide a new writing prompt on their blog. The writing prompt may include a small piece of the story, describe key characters, or list other criteria that your story must include.
- Check out February’s writing prompt here: https://youtu.be/B7-cVZfD9Kw
- February Contest Deadline: February 20, 2018
- All students in grades K-8 are eligible.
Calling all doodlers K-12!
What inspires you? Express it in a creative doodle!
How it Works
Prizes: Prizes include scholarships, technology for your school, and a behind the scene experience with the Doodle team!
Submissions are due March, 2, 2018
Click here for the poster
Nebraska Association for the Gifted Parent Night
with Featured Speakers Dr. Kenneth Kiewra & Devin Patterson
When: February 22, 2018
Where: Embassy Suites Old Market
Time: 6:30-7:30 pm
Click here for the flier