Starting August 24, Do Space will be offering a 100% free After-School Club that will feature computer programming, coding, engineering, and other STEAM related activities!
- Elementary After-School Club @ 4:35 PM Monday-Thursday (ages 6-10)
- Middle School After-School Club @ 3:35 PM Monday-Thursday (ages 11-15)
Westside Community Schools does not sponsor or endorse the organization or activity described in this material. The distribution of this material is provided as a community service.
Registration has begun for the Battle of the Books 2020!
Online registration runs through Friday, October 25.
Battle of the Books celebrates reading and fosters team spirit, and is open to all Westside District 4th through 6th graders. We are hoping to have all 10 elementary schools represented at this year’s battle on Saturday, March 21, 2020 at the Westside Middle School.
What type of robot would you invent to help people (or your community) and why?
WHO: 4th – 12th graders
WHAT: Essay answering, “What type of robot would you invent to help people (or your community) and why?
WHEN: Submissions are due March 15, 2019
WHY: To practice your writing skills of course! You might also win a chance to meet Grant Imahara who has worked on some of the most famous movie and TV robots of all time including R2-D2 and the Energizer Bunny.
Visit https://www.nescifest.com/participate/essay/ for more details.
The Nebraska Robotics Expo will be held at Strategic Air Command & Aerospace Museum on Saturday, February 16, 2019. Westside would like to take 3 TEAMS to this amazing event!
Mr. Harold Sanchez, a Loveland parent, will be holding workshops on Saturdays in January to prepare for the event. All 4rd-6th grade students at Westside Elementary Schools are invited to attend. Even if a child decides he/she does not want to participate in the Expo, they are still welcome to attend the Saturday workshops.
Descriptions of the Robotics Expo events can be found by clicking the links below.
Please fill out the form to reserve your spot for the Saturday workshops. They will be offered on January 5, 12, and 26 (all Saturdays) in the Swanson Public Library (9101 W Dodge Rd, Omaha, NE 68114) basement.
There is only space for 20 participants at each workshop. Students will be working on teams. If a child wants to be part of the teams participating in the Robotics Expo, he/she should be prepare to attend all three workshops.
- 3:00-3:30 pm: General information about the event, and set up.
- 3:30-5:30 pm: Practice
- 5:30-5:45 pm: Clean up and closing
During each workshop, we will be practicing the activities. If possible please bring a roll (or 2) of painters tape to assist in setting up the games/activities. If your child plans to participate in the autonomous course (programming), it would be ideal for you to have a laptop computer (PC or Mac) with a USB port and the CEENBoT Commander software downloaded. The CEENBoT Commander software can be found here: https://www.ceenbotinc.com/updates
Calling all 4th-6th graders! It’s time to start thinking about BOTB 2019!
- Students will form teams of three or four students. Teams may have five students, but at most four students may compete in any round.
- Each team will provide at least one parent volunteer to assist during part of the competition in March, in addition to a team parent to accompany the team on battle day.
- Since this is a team event, individual students do not have to read all of the books on the list to participate.
- This event is open to all 4th through 6th grade students in the District.
- Registration will begin in October
- The battle will be held on the morning of March 30, 2019 at Westside Middle School.
Check out the September Flier for additional details and bookmark the BOTB website to get the most up-to-date information!
BOTB Book List: 2019 Golden Sower nominees
1. Soar by Joan Bauer
2. The Wild Robot by Peter Brown
3. All Rise for the Honorable Perry T. Cook by Leslie Connor
4. Moo: A Novel by Sharon Creech
5. Garvey’s Choice by Nikki Grimes
6. Slacker by Gordan Korman
7. Wish by Barbara O’Connor
8. Maxi’s Secrets: (Or, What You Can Learn from a Dog) by Lynn Plourde
9. Towers Falling by Jewell Parker Rhodes
10. Save Me a Seat by Sarah Weeks and Gita Varadarajan
All of these books are available to borrow from the Omaha Public Library and will be available in the school libraries. If you would like to purchase books, check out The Bookworm, Half Price Books, or Amazon.com.
Stone Soup is in the process of gathering work for their September issue which will be science themed. Check out the many types of work you can submit:
- write up a science fair project or experiment for Stone Soup readers to try
- write a short essay about any area of science that fascinates you (i.e. comets, dinosaur coloration, the geology of a place near where you live, something about the weather, etc.)
Check out more details here. All entries are due July 1, 2018.
The Omaha Local Section of the American Chemical Society (ACS) is sponsoring an illustrated poem contest for students in Kindergarten through 12th grade.
Write and illustrate a poem using the CCEW theme, “Dive into Marine Chemistry.”
Contest Deadline: April 24, 2018
Contest Details: https://www.acs.org/content/acs/en/education/outreach/ccew/illustrated-poem-contest.html
Prizes: Local winners advance to the national contest for a chance to win cash prizes. ACS will award $300 to first-place and $150 to second-place national contest winners in each grade category!
Winners of the Omaha Local Section’s Illustrated Poem Contest will advance to the National Illustrated Poem Contest for a chance to be featured on the ACS website and to win prizes!
Tech Savvy, a program of AAUW, introduces girls in 6th through 9th grades to many types of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) careers and teaches “savvy skills” such as critical thinking, sharing opinions, financial literacy, and negotiation.
Tech Savvy will be held April 21, 2018, from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm at the College of St. Mary, 7000 Mercy Rd, Omaha, NE.
Find out more at: https://aauw-ne.aauw.net/tech-savvy/